Thursday, December 6, 2012

I want to be a teacher.

I'm feeling like myself again and I am so grateful. That meant that I got to go to my elementary school reunion tonight.
My heart is so full and so grateful for the night I was able to have with the small group of people that I learned how to learn with.
We laughed, we giggled, we talked about memories that I had long forgotten. There was something about being in those rooms and buildings again that made it all come flooding back.
I loved elementary school. Every day I loved school, I truly enjoyed my time there.
It brought back memories of Valentine's Day. Where everyone would bring someone their ideal lunch. We'd all bring lunches and give them to each other (secretly) and we would all receive the lunch of our dreams.
It was the sweetest, most thoughtful event I ever thought imagined.
Is there a way to re-create this in a high school setting? Because if there is, oh I am going to bring it back.
100%
Tonight, I left with a feeling of purpose, after listening to Mark Driscoll's sermon on Work and Worship in the car on the way there, I felt a change.
New intention was found in the why of me wanting to be a teacher to first graders.
I want to encourage them and be the person that believes in them, even if nobody else does.
I want them to shoot for the moon, because they will land among the stars.
I want to encourage my students to be the best that they can be and not let anyone tell them that they aren't good enough or smart enough. They can do whatever they believe they can do, which means the sky is the limit.
I would be so grateful to play this roll in student's lives. To be the one that is encouraging them. I'd love it.
Sure, teaching is a job that is not glamorized or makes millions, but I believe I'd be following the path that God has me on at the moment.
Maybe what I'm feeling right now changes, that I find that God has a different path for me and that I will encourage others in a different way. But right now, after tonight, I feel so motivated to see this as the why of being a teacher.
I'm so excited to put in the work and study so that I can be the encouragement that these student's need to make the best world possible.
Tonight, I am so grateful. Grateful for my elementary school, for a game of ultimate bump that never changes, and the incredible friends that I've made throughout the years.
God is good. 

ps: I brought that leaf into my fourth grade science classroom and Katie still teaches in that room, with that leaf, eight years later. Absolutely amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment