Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Making Time

 I posted at the beginning of the school year about having a hard time finding time for the Lord. I would be praying before I got out of bed and before I went to bed but it wasn't enough for me. 

I was craving more time with the Lord. I knew I needed more and I knew I wasn't doing all I could to be getting it in. 

The transition was hard, but now on my forth week of school I finally feel like I've got my rhythm and it's time to address the quiet time problem. And I did. 

On Thursday night I wrote in my journal and spent time with the Lord instead of doing my Great Gatsby reading for the next day. On Friday morning, at 6:20am, I spent fifteen minutes journaling about Proverbs 27 and praying about my day.

It blessed me 100x throughout my day and I had joy in my heart before stepping over the threshold of my bedroom. It was what the Lord had put on my heart to do and I'm so glad I listened.

Making time to spend with God is hard and it's a challenge that goes through seasons and transitions. Throughout the summer I could do the She Reads Truth study and keep up with my Beth Moore study, when I went back to school it was hard to keep up with either of them. As I'm finding myself back in the school mode I'm realizing that I do have time for Him. But it's about making it a priority.

I'm finishing the Proverbs study and then finishing my Beth Moore study on the Psalms of Ascent. I am so blessed to have a plethora of studies at my disposable, but I need to manage them to make sure I'm not overwhelming myself. I want to love and crave this time with the Lord and when it has become stressful, I know I'm doing something wrong.

I am thankful for a Lord that allows for buckets full of grace. Forgiveness on the days that I don't say a single prayer. Love on the days that I deserve it least. A life forever in Heaven. Knowing that Jesus is all that I do and will ever need, if I've got Him, I'm good.

These words are easier to type than they are to act out. It's hard to always believe that making time for the Lord is worth it when the classes you have tomorrow are weighing down on you. I found time to read my Great Gatsby assignment during my free period on Friday and the Lord took care of me. He knew what was going to happen, He always does. 

I hope that you'll leave me a comment or email me if you need encouragement or advice on how to make this time every day. I've done it for a few days and that definitely doesn't mean I've got it all under control, but it's progress. I pray that you will be able to hear where God is telling you to take the next step, He'll bless it more than you could even imagine!

Study this Book of Instruction continually. Meditate on it day and night so you will be sure to obey everything written in it. Only then will you prosper and succeed in all you do.
Joshua 1:8 

It takes three weeks to form a habit and I'm excited to see how God will be working in my life and yours by then! Good luck, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment