Sunday, November 27, 2011

A Positive Way to Start the Day

Beginning during the month of September, I started attending church services on Sunday mornings. Living in Seattle, one of the least religious cities in the United States, going to church is not something that everyone does. It has not been easy finding friends that also attend services!

Attending church, growing my faith and having a new community that I could grow with was something that I had always wanted. Religion was never pushed upon me and for that I am grateful, I was able to start going to church when I wanted to. Due to that, I have been going to church by myself! It is something that I value as a time to find myself and what I believe in, a time that I can spend reflecting on myself. 
I have been attending St. James Cathedral since September since I attended an Easter service this year there and I felt comfortable. Today I branched out and tried something new, and it was by far the best decision I could have made. I attended service at Bethany Community Church and I loved the community that was there. I was welcomed with open arms and the greater made me feel incredibly comfortable. This church has the perfect balance of what I am looking for, definitely worth all the nerves I had this morning!

I know that many are not religious or do not go to church in my community, but I would love to challenge many to try it. Always been pulled to attend a service but didn't know where? Try it! The likelihood that you will end up somewhere that you are welcomed is high, they are excited to see you there with them. That is why I make sure that I smile at everyone during service, you never know how far a small smile can go to someone who is also nervous! My favorite part of attending today was working with the Giving Tree that BCC organizes. I feel so blessed to pass on what I have been given to others. 
In previous years, Christmas was not highlighted because of the religious reasons. We celebrated Santa, receiving gifts and celebrating the holiday season. This year, I'm challenging myself to focus on the true meaning of the season and what it means for me. As I start celebrating Advent today, I hope that all of you have an absolutely beautiful holiday season! What are some of your favorite holiday traditions?

1 comment:

  1. your blog is so encouraging! My family makes it a point to attend church on Christmas Eve so we don't forget the reason for the season. It is SO easy to forget.

    xoxo.

    ReplyDelete